Latest News
No News Sorry.

13-year-old girl left with horrific burns on her neck after using her cellphone while it was charging

I think any parent out there would agree with the sentiment that protecting our children becomes priority number one, two, three, four, and five from the moment they come into the world.

The mere idea of illness or injury to our little ones is often unthinkable, which is why we go to great lengths to ensure that they’re kept out of harm’s way. It’s not even something most of us spend a deal of time thinking about, rather an instinct that kicks in from the very first time we lay our eyes on our son or daughter.

Unfortunately the world so often has other ideas, and even while practicing the most watertight due diligence, things can and will inevitably go wrongMost moms and dads will fear the day something happens that’s beyond their control to stop, particularly when it’s an accident or ordeal that they couldn’t have foreseen. 

Jackie Fedro knows a thing or two about that. Her daughter’s harrowing story might have taken place back in 2016, but we think it’s every bit as worth sharing today.

According to BuzzFeed, Jackie decided 2016 was the year that her daughter Gabbie – then 13 – could get her own cellphone. For Christmas, Gabbie was gifted a LG d500.

“One of the reasons we finally gave in and bought her a cell phone is so we can keep in touch with her more with her crazy practice schedule,” Jackie explained to BuzzFeed.

Credit / Shutterstock

Yet what followed was a nightmare none of them could have possibly expected. Gabbie was using her cellphone in her room one day when Jackie heard her scream.

“She came running downstairs after it [happened] grabbing her neck,” Jackie recalled. “She was in so much pain she was screaming hysterically.”

“It’s the worst feeling in the world as a mother to watch your child scream in pain and have no idea how to help her. It took her a good five minutes before she was even able to tell us what had happened.”

Gabbie told her mom that she had been using her phone while it was plugged into its charger. The 13-year-old received an electric shock, the current of which traveled up the charging cable, through her phone, and into her metal necklace, thus burning her neck.

Jackie told BuzzFeed: “She suffered painful second-degree burns and now will have a scar all the way around her neck.”

Speaking on the alarming incident, Jackie urged other parents to consider the dangers of cellphones that aren’t widely discussed or even known.

“With so many kids using phones now days, parents need to be warned about the harm that they can cause,” Jackie said.

How terrifying! Have you ever heard about something like this happening before? I certainly hadn’t.